Friday, October 3, 2014

The Ring of Kerry

Morris arrived at 10am to pick us up for our tour of the ring of Kerry.  Voted as one of the top 10 most scenic drives in the world.  The day started out a little misty and rainy, which has been the case most days, but ended up sunny and beautiful.

Our first stop was the red fox bar lounge and bog village.  We toured the village and saw different examples of homes.  Then we all had an irish coffe which the red fox is famous for..seems like they are all ready to go with lots of glasses filled with whiskey or baileys and just waiting for the buses to arrive.



Our next stop was the highlight of the day.  We stopped to see a Shepard who first told us all about the different types of sheep And then did an amazing demonstration with his trained dogs..gathering and herding the sheep.  The dogs showed how to bring the shep from the top of the mountain to the bottom and how much control the dogs have over the direction of the sheep.





We continue used our drive with lots of stops at some beautiful views of the ocean and mountains.  We stopped for a bite to eat at the highest point ..food was so so but the view was amazing.  I finally had my first Guiness.  Not much of a beer drinker but had to have at least one Guiness.  I guess it was not terrible...but I enjoy the hard cider more.



We returned to the house about 5pm. And. The cousins headed out to scope out dinner spots and look at menus.  We checked out a few and ended up booking a table at The Bricin which is known for its boxty.    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxty

We arrived for out 8 pm reservation and we were greated by The owner who owns the restaurant with his brother Patty who is the chef.  I thought I had done something  special by the way we were treated when we arrived.  He welcomed us and was very excited to have us dine with him.  We were also very excited to be dining, the restaurant was very highly rated on Trip advisor which everyone knows I heavily rely upon.  I think we all agreed it was the best meal of our vacation .  Wayne, Scott and Elaine all tried the boxty. Wayne and Scott had the stroganoff and Mom had the chicken.  They were all very delicious.  Maureen and I had the scallops for our entree which were fresh and prefectly prepared.  Sue had a chicken dish and Mike had a steak which they enjoyed.



The most amazing part of my meal were the mussels.  They were the best I have every had.  The juice they  were in was  so amazing I could have drunk it by the glass.  The mussels were so clean and fresh - DELICIOUS.

We were all so full after our meal we headed back to the house without a pub stop.

Tomorrow is a day in Killarney!

Fitbit tracker 14194 steps - 6.26 miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment